Greet your 2016 Bryce Harper (May 11) and Max Scherzer (May 23) Bobbleheads
Baseball player and mascot bobbleheads have really taken off and continue to gain popularity every year. It seems like all the Major League Baseball teams have bobblehead nights.
In St. Louis last year, I watched in fascination as hawkers bartered for and acquired bags full of bobbleheads, to later sell online. It’s become big business for collector’s. (BTW – I kept mine.) I also tried to get a King Felix bobblehead in Seattle, but was shut-down by the insane number of people who came more than two hours early. (BTW – A friend got two (?!?)…and sent one to me in DC. Nice.)
In Marlins Park (Miami), they even have a dedicated Bobblehead Museum with bobbles from all the Major League Baseball teams. I’m sure it has only gotten bigger since I was there four years ago. The Marlins’ website says they currently have over 700!
Why bobbleheads, you ask? What makes them so sought after? Maybe they are the new baseball card. Maybe the world is just crazy. I’ll try to answer this pressing question during the season.
In 2015, your Washington Nationals had five “Great Moments in Nationals History” bobblehead nights.
And in 2016, the Nationals are gearing up for five more bobblehead promotional nights. The first 25,000 fans to these games win the night!
- Wednesday, May 11 = Bryce Harper MVP Bobblehead (Pro tip: Your grandkids will want this when Bryce retires in 2033.)
- Monday, May 23 = Max Scherzer No-Hitter Bobblehead (Piece #1 of 2) (Pro-tip: Two pieces, this requires synergy and commitment.)
- Tuesday, July 19 = Dusty Baker Bobblehead (Pro-tip: This is Dusty’s first year as Manager, let’s welcome him with a bouncing head.)
- Friday, August 26 = Max Scherzer No-Hitter Bobblehead (Piece #2 of 2) (Pro-tip: If you didn’t get the first one, better check eBay.)
- Friday, September 9 = Nationals Fan Choice Bobblehead (Pro-tip: Fans got to pick which player they want to see immortalized. Stay tuned for the big reveal.)
Of course, the Nationals will have other promotional items for your acquisitional pleasure. Maybe a Bryce Harper Chia Pet? or a Garden Gnome? Yes.
I’d like to go on record in saying, I want to see more Teddy bobbleheads! No April Fooling.