Moogfest 2018, scheduled for May 17-20 in Durham, North Carolina, is the premier urban music festival dedicated to the synthesizer. This year, a slew of electronic musicians joins headlining artists Kelela, Mouse on Mars, KRS-One, Chelsea Manning, Jon Hopkins. You can win tickets to attend with Parklife DC.
In addition to night programming at Moogfest, consisting of performances by legendary and upcoming artists dedicated to the synthesizer, the festival boasts daytime programming of lectures, immersive study, art installations, and more dedicated to music and sound.
Watch a video announcement of the Moogfest 2018 Lineup, Phases 1 +2, on YouTube:
A few highlights of Moogfest 2018 include:
- The return of Limp Bizkit’s Wes Borland. His new project, deeply personal, feels like a creative regeneration. At Moogfest, he his experimentation will seep into the conceptual and come to life by way of a self-made rig in a 4-hour durational. It will be his first performance of this kind ever.
- The highly-anticipated Sleep Concert, the grandfather of all durationals. An overnight 8-hour magical experience in sound, led this year by Icelandic artists Bedroom Community.
- The premiere of A3, a spatial sound installation that will transform the popular Durham Armory into a deeply immersive 360-degree sound environment. Within the space, performers like Suzanne Ciani, Shabazz Palaces, Author & Punisher, and Waajeed, will articulate sound from every angle.
- Mortiz is joining Moogfest with Mouse of Mars from Berlin, and presenting an installation, performance, conversation, while his musical robots are incorporated into Mouse of Mars’ show.
- Other durationals come from Nicole Mitchell, this jazz enthusiast and avant-garde artist who’s part of the association of Advancement of Creative Musicians will be performing a 4 hour durational on her flute immersed in all swaggy Moog gear.
- Genesis P-Orridge’s experimental video and music ensemble Psychic TV is among the legendary performers featured this year.
Parklife DC is giving away a pair of general admission tickets to attend Moogfest 2018 across venues in Durham, North Carolina. To win, simply leave a comment on this blog. You can leave any comment, but we would like to know which artist you are most eager to see at Moogfest!
Contest extended! For the rules of this giveaway–
Comments will be closed at 5pm on
Friday, April 20 Tuesday, April 24, and a winner will be randomly selected. The winner will be notified by email. The winner must respond to our email within 24 hours, or they will forfeit their tickets and we will pick another winner. We will email you instructions on claiming your ticket. Good luck!
Complete list of artists announced so far (including Parklife DC favorite Little Boots):
Alex Zhang Hungtai
Author & Punisher
Carla Dal Forno
Fatima Al Qadiri
Gavin Rayna Russom
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
Mouse on Mars
Nelly Ben Hayoun
Thomas F. DeFrantz
Moogfest 2018 is presented by United Therapeutics, American Underground, and Moog Music Inc., with support from the County of Durham, Guitar Center, Lyft, Fidelity Investments, Reverb, Blizzard Lighting, Bull Durham Beer, and Izotope. For more information, visit http://www.moogfest.com.
If you don’t win, buy your tickets online.
The City of Durham, North Carolina
Thursday, May 17-Sunday, May 20, 2018
Exact schedule TBA
$229 General Admission; $499 VIP
$1,500 Engineer VIP includes two-day synth-building workshop